II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Rising


Malachi 4 But for you who fear My name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.

I will never forget the first time I saw a decubitus ulcer in my hospital clinicals. The patient was a truck driver who had suffered a massive stroke and was not expected to survive so he had been left lying on his back for the better part of three weeks. As his condition started to improve physical therapy had been ordered for him and the first time he was turned over in bed he was found to have a wound on his sacral area or lower back. The first day I saw it, I could have put my foot in it. Easily. You could actually see his spinal column. It took over a year to heal.

Did you know that these types of wounds begin in the deeper tissues of the body and that by the time the skin is reddened on the outside, the inside is already starting to decay?

We bear a striking resemblance to this principle as well. At least, I did.

I was, for all intent and purposes, dead. Gaping wounds in my flesh. Rotting on the inside long before you would notice the outward effects. Like my patient, I needed so much care to repair my neglected and broken flesh. But all of the antibiotics and physical therapy in the world could not have repaired me. I needed to be redeemed. I needed a Savior.

But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace,and with His stripes we are healed...and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

And therein lies the goodness and mercy of Christ. He doesn't just heal our wounds...He bears them in His own flesh. He became my brokenness. He became my good. Taking my weakness on His own shoulders and bearing the rotting decay that was my soul in His own body. Wonderful. Merciful. Savior.

Revelation 3 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked.

Once again I am amazed at depth of Your love for Your people. You are more than we can imagine; more than we can contain; more than we deserve. You are higher and deeper and love stronger than any wind and longer than can be measured with time. You are the Only good and righteous God and we fall on our faces in worship to our King. Thank You for bearing in Your body, our shame. Thank You for clothing us in Your righteousness and keeping us safe in the palm of Your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment