II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Soldier


Genesis 31 The Lord watch between you and me, when we are out of one anothers sight.

My son, my only son, is being deployed to Iraq with the United States Army. He is a combat medic.

We are hearing a lot on the news about the troops being pulled out of Iraq and the news media covers the President's statements as if the war were over. I wonder....why then are more troops being deployed, especially a combat medic?

This has been hard on so many levels. For years my son and I didn't see each other often. Another costly consequence of mistakes of my youth. It is only in the last few years that we have begun a rebuilding process so it seems particularly sad that this is happening now. He and his wife are also pregnant with their first child, my grandchild. And part of my heart lives in Iraq. Actually, several small pieces of my heart live there. Shevet Achim kids. Small brown eyed beauties with zippers on their chests.

What will be required of my son while he is there? What battles personal, physical and spiritual will he wage? Will he return whole to his family?

The Lord watch between you and me when we are out of one anothers sight.

Father....please.

1 comment:

  1. My heart breaks for ALL of them as I read this..and you my sweet sister. Praying. I love you!

    ReplyDelete