II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Head


Ephesians 5 Wives, submit to your own husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, His body, and is Himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her...


There are some Scriptures that stop me in my tracks and I must just sit and let them steep.


And then there are Scriptures like these that I would rather read quickly and move right along :)


Today Donna and I drove to Tel Aviv to pick up my luggage, at last and hallelujah, and to Wolfson to pick up some meds. I love the drive to Tel Aviv and today was a perfect weather day. We put the windows down; let the warm breeze in, enjoyed the cloudless sky and I just soaked it all in. I am grateful to the Lord for allowing me to be here. We talked most of the way, getting to know each other but on the way home we fell quiet and I asked again of the Lord the question that has been on my mind for last few weeks. How long, Lord?


On the night that the Lord first spoke to me regarding coming to Israel, He was very specific. You must become a nurse. You must prepare your heart. You must quit smoking. I like plain speaking.


The question I have been asked the most recently is, How long are you staying? I am sure that this is partly due to the fact that I came alone but my friends ask, my children ask, the staff here ask and I have not had an answer for them because I did not have an answer from the Lord. I booked my ticket for ninety days from my original flight because I had to pick a date of some kind and ninety days is how long that my travel visa is good for. But the truth is that I have been asking the Lord the same question, How long?


So today, while it was quiet, driving back to Jerusalem I ask again...Lord, will you tell me how long? And so He speaks..... No.


No, your husband will tell you when to come home.


Really? Seriously?....Really. And He says, There will come a day when your husband will call and say, I want you to come home. You will be pleased and I will be pleased and Ken will be pleased. And suddenly I realize, at least in part, why I am here. This trip is to help me learn to be submissive, not only to the Lord but to those who have authority, under God, over me. And to be honest, that bites me just a little. The truth is also that I want to hear my husband say to me, come home. The truth is that I really want him to be the head of our household because it is his rightful place and I trust him with everything that I have. And it is the way that the Lord designed and planned it for it to be. What I have found in this is that I am more peaceful; more content; more relaxed.


My Father is the ultimate authority and Ken is the head of our house. While I am in Jerusalem I am under compulsion to obey the laws of this country. I am compelled to try to not to offend this culture. I must submit myself to the rules of this house. But my body and my heart belong to my husband and I find enormous comfort in that.


Father, You are so wise and just in all Your ways. You know my tendancy to want to control and to be in charge but really, in my heart, I am at rest only when my plans line up with Your will. Thank You for speaking Lord. Teach me to hear and obey.


I love you Ken. This is my love. This is my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Everything in my spirit is crying out "YES LORD!!!" Love being on this journey with you! I SO get this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry...but I laughed OUT LOUD reading how it "bites you a little bit" to be submissive to your authority! LOL
    And funny...I read it a good deal later than you wrote it- and just when "I" needed to read it.
    I love you so much.
    That sweet picture of you and Ken up there...makes my heart sing. Two kindred spirits...such sweet spirits God has given you both. I am so happy for you that you have gotten to all of this in your life, and you are so willing to share it with us.
    Now come SEE ME.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete