II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Perspective


Isaiah 12 Give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name, make known His deeds among the peoples, proclaim that His name is exalted. Sing praises to the Lord for He has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth. Shout and sing for joy, O inhabitants of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.


Sometimes all that is needed is a change of perspective. So I ask the question....Do I have the mind of Christ? Am I presenting to those people that I meet a genuine love and concern for their sould or am I just, in my own strength, attempting to be polite and get through it.


What I have found is that very soon our feelings such as frustration, resentment and anger begin to surface when we attempt to love others in our own strength. It is only through allowing Christ to change my perspective that I can interact with others in a true spirit of love. I am not capable of doing it on my own.


One of the challenges in being at Shevet Achim is learning to live in community and bringing yourself under authority. All things being common to the group; sharing tasks and space and finding areas in which to be alone just to pray, read or write. Most meals are shared and flexibility is required. We take turns in the bathroom, cooking and cleaning up. How is it possible to do this for very long without feeling claustrophobic or irritated? And for this answer we must look to Jesus who taught this concept of living in community and perfected it.


Jesus chose for Himself twelve very different companions; men with varying backgrounds, occupations, educational levels, temperament and ego. Through the gospels we see some of their struggles and learn that usually the conflicts centered around one or more of these men desiring to be in charge; either of a certain situation, a place of leadership within the group or a place of precedence over another. And over and over Jesus teaches them the principle of being a servant; being obedient; being submissive; being last. And most of us despise being last whether it means having the last word, being the last chosen, the last in line or the last to know.


So for today I will pray to Jesus to teach me the concept of living well in community and that He will have the precedence in this house and in our hearts. I will look to Him and give Him His rightful place as the Supreme One, the first One and the last word. In everything.


Give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name, make known His deeds among the peoples, proclaim that His name is exalted. Sing praises to the Lord, for He has done gloriously; let this be known in all the earth. Shout and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment