II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Sacrifice


Matthew 9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and He said to him, Follow Me. And he rose and followed Him. And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and His disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners? But when He heard it, He said, Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, I desire mercy, and not sacrifice. For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.


This morning I am sitting in the garden with my Bible and notes and breakfast of pita, hummus and hot tea. I am at rest. And considering the fact that we are taking three families to the park later, I may need peace and rest :)


Isaiah 58 And you shall be like a well watered garden, like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.


And I ask the Lord, What does this mean? I desire mercy and not sacrifice?


For me, for today, it is this...I find that it is sometimes easier to do for Jesus than it is to just be with Jesus. For example, it was easier to shave my head than to have mercy in my heart. It was easier to quit smoking than to forgive offenses. It is easier to pay for a ticket here than to live peacefully in my heart with this city. A task can be accomplished in a set amount of time. Relationships require long term effort. Compromise. Respect.


Read through the Gospels again and see how much is written about Jesus' tasks, occupation, education or scheduled appointments. What you will find is line after line of His interacting with people; His relationships with people.


So when Jesus comes to Matthew He says, Follow Me. Where? To dinner at your house with all your friends, who are sinners. To the sick. To the lost. To those who need a physician. A Savior.


And to the religious Pharisees he says, Go and learn what this means... Learn mercy. Do a little less and be a little more.


Isaiah 58 Behold in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure...to quarrel and fight. Fasting like yours will not make your voice heard on high. Is not this the fast that I choose, to loose the bonds of wickedness....to let the oppressed go free...to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house. Then shall light break forth...and the Lord will guide you continually in scorched places...and you shall be like a well watered garden.


Micah 6 With what shall I come before the Lord and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before Him with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams; with ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God.


Psalm 51 For You will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; You will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.


Father would you give to me the gift of mercy. Thank You for reminding me that You love mercy, graciousness, hospitality and friendship more than our sacrifices to You. Father teach me to see You as You really are, to see others as You see them and to see myself as You see me. Teach me to listen more and talk less. Slow to speak; slow to anger.

1 comment: