II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Vision


Romans 8 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds of the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's Law; indeed it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Yesterday I had lunch with my friend, Margo, and the question came up about when I might return to Israel. And suddenly in the middle of this light hearted, enjoyable lunch, my soul was pierced by the Helper, the Holy Spirit.

Why are you sitting here instead of in Israel?

And in a moment of clarity and honesty my heart replied, Because of my flesh.

For the Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Always the flesh.
Forever, it seems, is the flesh.

This morning I had a vision....


I am sitting in a study in Jerusalem, a simple, beautiful room with stone floors and walls, with a desk placed in front of a window that looks out onto a small courtyard. I am writing my book by hand in a large leather journal, in its entirety. I am at peace.

And into this peaceful vision, He speaks....

This is what you are trading to live in the flesh.

And I am undone by this truth.

Again and again I am faced with the knowledge that I am not living the life intended for me because of a lack of faith on my part, an unwillingness to trust, to let go of my stuff, to open up my fists and release everything to Him.

Romans 7 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing that I hate...For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out....So I find it to be a law (habit) that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.....O wretched man that I am!! Who will deliver me from this body (flesh) of death? Thanks be to God through Christ Jesus our Lord.

(and I love this next verse, ready?)

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Thank you Lord for that)

Do you ever feel this way, that you are missing it? Why do I keep coming so close and backing off? I sabotage myself and, worse, His plans. Why can I not just do what I should?

Maybe because my mind is set on the flesh.

Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And He who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.


Father....You know.

1 comment:

  1. Amen...so when are you going back to Israel? I guess that is a question only HE can answer! :-)

    ReplyDelete