II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Gate


Matthew 7 Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.


What is the difference in faithful or fanatic; devout or delusional? What does it mean to be sold out for Christ and why can't I seem to do it consistently?


For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life.


It is hard to deny self. It takes more than self-control. You must be Christ controlled to refuse to watch, to touch or to own some things. We live in a society that teaches indulgence to our desires; a visually stimulating world that suggest that we really can have it all and that there is virtually nothing beyond our grasp. The world tells us that life is short and your dreams are just waiting to be fulfilled, no matter what they are. After all, it's all about YOU baby!!


For the gate is wide and the way is easy and those that enter by it are many. But where does it lead?


I think that, for me at least, being consistent in faithfulness is a struggle because I get so focused on the journey rather than the destination. I can't see the end so therefore I don't trust that I can get there.


A couple of years ago Ken took me to Vail to ski for the first time. I started on a bunny slope and that was not too scary and it was fun. I fell a couple of times but the slope was easy and I was never in any danger. When we got off the lift the second time Ken had made a mistake and we were on a blue slope. At first it didn't look too bad but we came around a curve and it was like looking into an abyss. We were so high and the slope was so steep and I was terrified. It was too much; too difficult. I could not enjoy the beauty of the scenery or the freedom of skiing. I couldn't even fathom reaching the bottom or feeling accomplished. It was just too much.


Perhaps this a lesson best learned from Christ.


Hebrews 12 Looking to Jesus the founder and perfecter of our faith who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured from sinners such hostility against Himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood...It is for discipline that you have to endure...therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees and make straight paths for your feet.


And walk the narrow way...to life.


After trying to ski down, trying to walk down, laughter and tears, I got a ride down in a basket with ski patrol. I didn't have what it takes to endure the difficult slopes, to press on for the prize of completing the task at hand. Hopefully I am better at walking the pathway to life than skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment