II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Request


Matthew 7 Ask, and it will be given to you: seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Of if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!!


I don't really like to ask anyone for anything. Southern girls, I think in particular, are taught not be pushy; not to insist on having your own way. Sometimes it is a pride issue; that part of me that says, I can do it myself. But why would I ever be reluctant to ask my heavenly Father for something, unless maybe I am afraid that He would deny me or that I doubt that He is listening or that He is able to meet my needs?


One of my favorite books is Catherine Marshall's, The Helper. I came upon it accidentally in an antique store. I believe the book is actually out of print and I have been so grateful to the Lord for allowing me to stumble upon it. In this book she speaks about the practical relationship that we have with the Holy Spirit; how He is our Helper in all areas of our life. He teaches us deeper truths from Scripture; He intercedes for us in our prayers; He is our protector and defender against the enemy and how He is our Helper in everyday matters or needs that we face. She also makes the point that He may be sorely neglected by most of us on a daily basis.


This book has helped me so much in learning to relate to the Holy Spirit as my constant friend; as an "ever present help" as He is called in Scripture.


So today, with the help of my friend, I am asking something of the Lord; a birthday present, if you will. On Tuesday I will advance farther into the 40's of my life and I have asked a gift from the Lord. For myself. I have asked for His provision for a plane ticket to Jerusalem. I have an opportunity to return to Shevet Achim.


If you are reading this would you pray that the Lord would give me favor for my request? And if you are reading this my prayer has been that both you and I would be assured of our Fathers ability to care for us. He is not only able, He is pleased for us to bring our requests to Him. He desires our dependence on Him in all things. He waits for us. To trust Him. To reach out to Him. To need Him. Continuing to depend on ourselves only hinders His plans for us.


So today I will make my request of the Lord and ask for His help and provision in all things and I will trust that what He calls me to, He equips me for and that He is able to provide good things for His children.


Be of good cheer, little flock. It is your Father's pleasure to give you the kingdom!!


Lord I love you and I trust You. How could I not? Just look at all You have done. You are worthy Lord, worthy of praise, worthy of honor, worthy of worship, worthy of trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment