II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Steadfast


James 1 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.




I really like the second sentence and the idea of lacking in nothing. It is the first sentence that is causing me some issues.




I have been praying for steadfastness in my life. It is something that I feel is lacking in me. Endurance. Consistency. Faithfulness. I read these verses today and realized that in praying for steadfastness, I had been inviting trials and testing of my faith. Great :)




I guess it is a principle in life as well as in our walk with the Lord. We learn to walk by falling. We learn trust through being put into situations where trust is required. And we learn to be steadfast through trials.




Then it stands to reason that the longer we walk with the Lord the easier it would become to trust Him, right? So why do I still struggle with "surrendering all"? Why do I continue to worry, or struggle with selfishness, or act childish or need my own way? As many trials as I have had in my life I should be a pillar of something, a rock, a veritable fortress.




Hebrews 5 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.




Hebrews 6 Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.




The truth is that as long as we live in the flesh we will bear the burden of the flesh. And the flesh is always at war with the spirit. Learning to come to terms with God and with ourselves and our past is part of growing up. And growing up is a hard business.




Father thank you for loving us where You find us. Thank You for sending the Helper, our constant companion, who leads us in the paths of righteousness. Thank you for mercy when we fail to follow. Thank you for covering our sins with your mantle of forgiveness; for being the patient Father who picks us up and dusts us off and encourages us to try again. You are so good and so kind and so loving and You ask so little of us in return. Remember that we are just flesh and blood and remember us for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment