II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Portion

Lamentations 3    I have forgotten what happiness is....

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope; the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him.

Today we are in Denver, CO.  It is one of my favorite places.  My soul is at rest.

I have forgotten what happiness is....

Just a few months ago I was working in Manhattan.  Quite happy with life.  But that was before the tree fell on the house in April.  Funny that when you think you are finally getting everything together in life that something totally unexpected happens.

Since the first of May we have been working at the house almost daily.  And since we are finally so close to being finished, I almost skipped this trip.  I just want this renovation to be over so badly.  It has been so hot and exhausting and that makes us unusually ill with one another.  At the last minute I made a good choice to come and leave the house there.  The house will still be there when we get back (or it won't) but we need some time away and there are people here that I really want and need to see.

As I was flipping through my Bible this morning I came to their passage in Lamentations

I have forgotten what happiness is....

Life can be like.  Work can be life that.  Disasters, disease, poverty, disagreements.  Distractors from the things in life that really matter.  So this morning I just want to rest and find my center.  And just a few verses down I find help.

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope; the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him.

Isaiah 26   You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him.

Yesterday I heard of a the death of a sister in Christ unknown to me other than by phone conversation.  She was a missionary to the Native American Indians.  She had told friends that she was going to spend some time alone with the Lord, her love.  She went to her room to find her center.  She was found on the floor with an open Bible nearby.  Truly with the Lord.

No matter what happens in this life my soul is secured in Him.  If I live to be a hundred or if I die today, it is well with me.  I am sure that if I do live to be a hundred that there are sorrows yet to be endured and I ask for mercy for my family, my friends, our children and grandchildren.  Such is life.  But whatever life holds for me, He holds me.  And that is enough.

Father thank You for reminding me this morning of what it means to be happy.  You are steadfast in Your love for me, giving me hope and a future when I had none.  When I had nothing and no one You restored me to life, to health, to my children and family and mostly, to Yourself and I will be forever grateful.  You are my portion.  You are my friend.  You are my God and the keeper of my soul and I will hope in You.  Say hello to Jewel.

No comments:

Post a Comment