II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Work


Exodus 31 The Lord said to Moses, See I have called by name Bezales the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold, silver, and bronze, in cutting stone for setting, and in carving wood, to work in every craft....And I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you.

Words given to Moses regarding the building of the Tabernacle. A meeting place for God and His people. Still relevant after all these years.

John 9 We must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; night is coming.

For the last few months we have been renovating our home after storm damage in April. It is September. It has been one of the most stressful times in my life.

It reminds me of a dance or an orchestra. Imagine the frustration of a conductor or choreographer with fifty instrumentalists learning to play to perfection a new and very difficult piece of music.

I have learned that one trade is dependent on another. First came finding the right contractor, dealing with the insurance company and the mortgage lender, the trusses, framing, roofing, plumbing, sheetrock, insulators, electricians, masons, painters, and on and on. We are at their mercy.

If it rains the project falls behind and if one person fails to show up for work everyone following them is delayed.

One thing that I have really enjoyed about this projects is watching people work who are gifted at their trade and who will be there when they tell you they will. I love to pull into the driveway and see the tradespeople hard and work and progress being made.

Sometimes in the daily grind of life I forget that God has called me to specific place in His kingdom work.

You and I have been equipped by God to serve in some capacity in His service. There is work that only we can do. And if we fail to do it, what then?

In our remodel when people do not fulfill their roles we fall behind and eventually someone else must be found to complete that task. It's frustrating. We are building a home that we really want to live in. It's expensive. It's hard work. There is a lot depending on it. I want to have my friends and family over for dinner. I want to see a dog playing in the back yard. I want my grandchildren to play there.

God has prepared a place in heaven for all His children to dwell. Whether the world or you or I believe that it does not change the fact that it is true. There will come a day when those who have believed in Him and placed their faith in the Son, in Jesus Christ, will live together as a family. Forever.

There is work to be done to prepare for that day. People need to be invited to come. A family needs to live there. Children need to play there. And workers needs to show up and work to make sure that we do our part and seeing His work come to completion.

I want you to be there.

John 9 We must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day.....night is coming.

Father it is so easy to live life, to raise children, to remodel or garden or play and to let the days slip away and never give thought to our purpose for Your kingdom. I want to be a good mom, I want to be a good Nannie and wife and gardener and designer and nurse, all of these things are good but what I really want at the end of the day is to spend eternity with them, with You and with as many as we can persuade to come. Place eternity in my heart, in my thoughts every day. Give the power of Your Holy Spirit to these words and let them have an impact for Your glory.

1 comment: