II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Twin

John 20   Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came.  So the other disciples told him, We have seen the Lord.  But he said to them, Unless I see in His hands the marks of the nails, and place my hand in His side, I will never believe.

When I was a child I used to dream of being one of the disciples.  What an awesome privilege to have a front row seat to the life and ministry of the Son of God.  And, I thought,  how easy it must have been for them to believe that He was the Christ.  They were the Twelve.  The Chosen.  The brothers and friends of Jesus.  When I was older I learned that nearly every one of them suffered a brutal death for their faith in Him.

Thomas was an eye witness to the miracles performed by Jesus.  The sick are healed.  The lame walk.  The blind see.  Thousands are fed with some loaves and fishes and if that was not enough, the dead are raised.

But Thomas was also a witness to the crucifixion and death of this good man.

And if Jesus was dead who could raise Him?  And if the leaders could crucify the Master they could certainly deal with His followers.

John 20   Eight days later, His disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them.  Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, Peace be with you.  ( I always wondered  here what Thomas was thinking.  Was he expecting to be chastised from the Lord for disbelief?)  Then He said to Thomas, Put your finger here, and see My hands, and put out your hand, and place it in My side.  Do not disbelieve, but believe.  Thomas answered Him, My Lord and my God!  Jesus said to him, Have you believed because you have seen Me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

Hebrews 11  Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Did you know that it documented historically that the man Jesus Christ lived and was crucified?  The problem is proving that He was raised from the dead.

According to Scripture He was seen by not just His disciples but by hundreds of people.  Maybe the most compelling argument is that many of those people lost their own lives for telling others what they had seen.

Most people would not offer their own lives in place of another.  Probably fewer would offer their lives in defense of truth.  Probably none would be willing to die for a lie.  It takes real conviction to be willing to suffer and die and for your faith.

It does require faith to believe in the story, the ministry, of Jesus.  What follows faith, in this case is evidence.  The evidence is given at salvation.  The proof.  As real as the scars in His hands and feet or His nail pierced side is the indwelling of His Holy Spirit.  The Bible says He is our guarantee.  Until we receive the Promise.

The power that raised Christ from the dead dwells in the heart of every believer.

There is coming a day when all will see Jesus face to face.  All will see the scars in His hands and feet and the scars from the spear that pierced Him.  And all, like Thomas, will proclaim, My Lord and my God!

My prayer is that you will open your heart to Him for He gave ALL for you.

Father the most unbelievable part of all of this is that You loved us enough to give Yourself for us.  Your Word says that hardly anyone would give themselves for even a righteous man.  But for sinners and unbelievers like me You were willing and it is that truth that brings my heart to You.   Father take these words and spread them like seeds where You will.  Cause them to have an impact for Your kingdom.  I love You and I am so grateful for the life that You have given me and for the life that You gave for me.


1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of Jewel...she lived like this, giving Him her everything.

    ReplyDelete