II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Comforter


Psalm 23 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Today, after a pastry and time of worship, I headed off to Sheba Hospital for a meeting with the parents of Baran, Bechel and Nawful, and the head of the ICU. We also had the luxury of a translater, Elan, who speaks Kurdish, English, Hebrew and Arabic.

While we were waiting for the meeting and our translater to arrive I had an hour or so to just talk with Bechel and Nawful about life in general. I am amazed at how even during the most difficult time of their lives that they are so gracious. They ask about my family, my children, my job and my culture. They offer tea and lunch. And even though I am here to comfort and support them, they are concerned with my own comfort.

Nawful tells me that in his view and according to his culture that I am a friend, a family member to them and I can tell that he is sincere. He invites me to come and stay with them in Kurdistan and Bechel's face lights up as she talks about how they will take me to dinner in all of their families homes. She says that when they go to dinner that they start with water and then tea followed by chocolate and a dinner meal and dessert afterward. She says that they sit for long periods just talking and either getting to know someone or strengthening an existing friendship or family tie. They teach me about being polite, offerring the best of seats and food to the guests and bringing a gift to the host and hostess. And for a moment we are just a couple of friends having tea without a care. They have put their own fears and needs aside to be gracious to me.


And that is a trait that reminds me so much of Jesus.


It is amazing to me throughout His ministry we see Him teaching, building relationships and enjoying long dinners with friends. I think He must have been the kind of man that you would just want to have around. Gracious, funny, sympathetic and trustworthy. And all of this time He can see the cross looming in His very near future. Somehow He was able to put that aside and do the work that He had come to accomplish.


Father, I thank You for opportunities to meet people like Bechel and Nawful. I hope to see them some day in Kurdistan with their son and meet their families and have long dinners just getting to know each other. Father would You heal Baran and give back to his parents their joy?

1 comment:

  1. amen dear sister. tell them i love them and have been hearing about everything from t.

    ReplyDelete