II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Hope


Job 13 Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.


Today was my day to take care of the children so that Laura could take her first trip to Gaza. We had a great morning beginning with a time of worship and singing with Ryan on the guitar. After breakfast Mary and I went up to play with the kids. We colored, played with balloons, brushed teeth, made animals out of play-dough and broke up a fight:) Just a small fight between small boys.


But as I was coming down to put supplies away I noticed immediately how quiet everyone was and I have seen this enough in my work to know that something was wrong. Something was horribly wrong. Baran has died.


Gaddy, Mauna, Donna Jo, Ryan and I went to Sheba to pick up Bechel, Nawful and Mariwan and bring them back to Jerusalem with us and make arrangements for Baran to be transported back to Kurdistan.


Job 14 Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble. He comes out like a flower and withers; he flees like a shadow and continues not.


I continue to be impressed with this young family. They expressed their gratitude to all of us and also for the fact that they did not have to choose to remove the life support system. They saw this as merciful. And mercy is what we have prayed for. We also prayed for healing and we recognize that healing comes in many forms. Baran is completely healed and in perfect peace.


How is it that a parent copes with the loss of a child? It is unbearable I think; a wound that never completely heals. And it is at this point that I am so grateful for the hope I have in Christ Jesus, my Lord.


I Corinthians 15 If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.


So how do we express this hope to those who feel hopeless and in the middle of the worst day of their lives? Well, for us right now, we are offering a hot bowl of soup, a clean bed, a hot shower, tears with the crying and prayers that our Father would reveal Himself to this young family.


Father, we are inadequate for these things. Not much helps in the way of human comfort at this time. They are bereft. Lord would you show us how? Would you come to Bechel and Nawful and be to them a God who can be felt? Who can be heard? Who can be touched? Come to them Father in dreams, in visions and in these hands and feet of ours to be a comfort to them. Give them safe travel Father and smooth navigation through customs. Would You be gracious to them Lord and bless them in their marriage and in their work? Would You bless them with children Father and let them flourish in all that they do? And when this life is over, Lord, would You bring them safely into Your kingdom and reunite them with their perfectly healthy Baran? For Your Name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment