II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Motive


I Corinthians 12, 13 And I will show you a still more excellent way. (And here are penned some of the most beatutiful words in Scripture)


If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy going or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.


This chapter is often referred to as the "Love Chapter" and indeed the word, love, is mentioned nine time in this chapter alone. But for me, for today, it speaks to me of motive. The intent behind love. An agenda.


So He speaks to my heart today, What is your motive Connie?


Do you desire the gifts of My Holy Spirit; and for what pupose?

Are you seeking a greater truth; and to what end?

Is there an agenda behind the services you offer to ME?


Love is a word that is tossed about a lot. I LOVE this....I LOVE him....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE


But I find that what we really love most often are the things we love for ourselves.


Are the things that I love an expression of my Fathers will and do they mirror the loves of His heart?


Love is patient.

Love is kind.

It does not envy or boast.

It is no arrogant or rude.

It does not insist on its own way.

It is not irritable or resentful.

It does not rejoice at wrongdoing.

It rejoices in the truth.

Love bears all things.

Love believes all things.

Love hopes all things.

Love endures all things.


And do we love anything like this?


Hebrews 4 For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joint and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.


Father show us Your heart in this. I pray that in everything I say and do that there would be a geniune motivation of Your perfect love that is woven into it. I am sure that this will not always be the case. I struggle with selfishness and a need to be heard and to be right. I am not always patient and kind, sometimes I am arrogant or rude. But I love You Lord and I want to love what You love. I want to desire the things that You desire. I want to mirror Your heart and reflect Your perfect intent. I want my only motive to be to please You.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder to me...The LORD has been bringing reminders all week of just this very thing...He keeps asking, "Is your motive to Love Me in this or is it to glorify yourself?" Timely....

    ReplyDelete