II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Indwelling


Luke 6 Give and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into you lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.

The Lord has been teaching me a wonderful principle this summer. It is this....being filled up and poured out. For Him and with Him. It has become a treasure to me. The thought began with one of the earliest blogs while writing the story of Jesus' first recorded miracle at the wedding at Cana. Water pots filled to the rim, touched by their master and becoming wine to drink.

I am His vessel. He is my potter. I am His wine and He is my portion. He designed me. Crafted me. Molded me in His hands. Not a vessel of gold or bronze or silver. A clay pot. Ordinary. Porous. Earthen. Common. And He filled me with His Holy Spirit. For service. Not for my happiness. Not for my joy. Not to be hidden away or used for my own personal understanding of who He is. For service to Him.

For three months prior to our trip to Israel the Lord filled me with His presence. Quite days of study, prayer and worship. The best days of my life. Uncomplicated. Satisfying. Nurturing. And I could have stayed there indefinitely. But God gives us Himself for a purpose. To be poured out. Good measure. Pressed down. Shaken together. Running over.

And now I find this principle. The more I give Him away to others, the more He gives Himself to me. Filled up. Poured out.

For how can we ever contain Him? The whole universe cannot contain His glory. He sits high above the heavens. Enthroned above the planets. Holy God. Majestic. Glorious. How could we ever, in our human states, possibly think that He could fill these earthen pots and not spill out into the lives of those around us? He's too big.
I am one lowly vessel. But when I am filled with Him, I do not feel lowly or common. I feel extraordinary. I am unable to hold Him to myself so He pours Himself out through my pen. Words of love. Words of hope. To you. To me.

Father you know all things. And you know me. Speak Your thoughts and give us ears to hear. As I pour out, fill me up. Overflowing. Like water. Like wine. Like oil. Joy unspeakable and full of glory.

Israel is dry and I learned quickly to always have a water bottle and snacks. Fatigue sets in rapidly there if you do not stay hydrated. Even our physical bodies teach us the principle of filled up and poured out. The earthly reflecting the heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment