II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Resistance


Psalm 46 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High.

Change is coming. I can feel it.

As I sit in the courtyard here at Shevet Achim the leaves are beginning to fall. Jerusalem is cooling. Soon the rains will come to this dry city.

Change is coming for us. For me. I feel as if I am standing on the edge of a precipice. Taking a large breath. Ready to jump. To fly. To follow. Where, Lord? How, Lord?

I find that most of the time we are resistant to change. Inflexible. Hindering God's plans. He orchestrates a plan, prepares the way, sets everything in place. And our indecision and inability to commit ourselves to His plan, hinders His work. We are reluctant to change.

God has been sifting out of my life any reluctance to follow Him. It has been uncomfortable and liberating at the same time. He stretches me. And that is good. He will not allow me to remain as I am. As I would be. Stagnant. He broadens the borders. Expands the boundaries. Enlarges the territories. He gives Himself more room to work. A larger audience. He reaches out to others through us.

Father, teach us to be flexible in Your hands. Pliable. Moldable. Willing to be shaped into Your image. Teach me to hold things loosely before You. Open hands. Open mind. Open heart. Open wallet. Open eyes. Teach us not to fear. Though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea. Teach us to be still. To cease striving. To rest.

Isaiah 64 But now, O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter, we are all the work of Your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment