II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Applause


Matthew 6 Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Our Father's House is the family home of our friends, Darrell and Kathy Morgan. It is a beautiful house that is used for their catering business and for ministry. Recently it was the host home for a women's retreat; a spa day, based on the woman at the well. It was a surprise for women in ministry. I was happy and excited to volunteer to decorate, cook and clean up. The event was wonderful. A day of relaxation, worship, pampering and luxury. The women were so surprised and everything came off beautifully. Many parts of the body of Christ coming together to say thank you to these women by treating them to a short play, worship dancing, teaching, lunch, massage treatment and high tea. And though I didn't know these women, I felt grateful for their service to the Lord and enjoyed the day myself. I came early and stayed late. I was exhausted when it was over but so blessed by the Lord by all I had witnessed that day. I had offered a gift of service to the Lord. Not to man. I felt good about that.

A couple of days later Kathy and I were sitting around and she asked me about two scabbed areas on the tops of my feet. And I told her that they were blisters rubbed on my feet from the day of the retreat. And was was like, Aww. I'm so sorry. You worked so hard that day and everyone was so grateful. We could not have done it without you. You had such a servants heart. And I enjoyed her praise.

On the way home that night I was singing in the truck, feeling so good about myself and the Lord spoke...And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. And immediately I knew. I had my reward. It was the praise of man. I had forfeited the reward from my Father. Not that He would want me to lie to Kathy but I did not have to mention that I received the blisters on the spa day. I wanted her to know that.

Thus when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

The Lord had seen my hard work. He saw the blisters on my feet. They were our secret. I had done well. Offered my time to His service. And He was pleased with me. But that was not enough for me. I had boasted of my work in order to receive the applause of another. And that applause was my reward.
Therein lies the goodness and mercy of God. Never condemning. Never shaming. Just a small voice that says, full of love, I SEE you Connie. I'm pleased with you.

And that should always be....enough.

I wonder what reward did I forfeit from the Lord in order to gain the applause of my friend? Did I exchange something heavenly for something fleshly?

Psalm 37 Wait for the Lord and keep His way, and He will exalt you to inherit the land.

James 4 Hu mble yourself before the Lord,and He will exalt you.

I Peter 5 Humble yourself, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you.

Philippians 2 H ave this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made Himself as nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and a great reminder. I love the part of 'our secret' between the Father and you...Thank you sweet sister for reminding me of His love and faithfulness. He is El Roi...He sees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I love you more now than I ever did before. You are just so much more precious...and it's all Jesus shining ever so brightly within.
    He has made you beautiful...inside, and out.

    ReplyDelete