II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Friday, October 2, 2009

The Shabbat


Genesis 2 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the hosts of them. And on the seventh day God finished His work that He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all His work that He had done in creation.

Shabbat in Jerusalem. What a long awaited and generous gift from my Father. It is very early in the morning and I alone am stirring at Shevet Achim. I cannot sleep. I woke to the hauntingly beautiful and strangely wonderful sound of the call to prayer.

I am sure that with time I may feel differently about all that happens in this diverse city and I will certainly need to educate myself regarding culture, language and middle eastern etiquette; but for this morning, at this hour, I am drawn to this complicated, complex, ancient and controversial city. It is exotic of sound and smell. It sizzles and pops with life, smolders with its many and varied opinions. And loved of God. Why this city? Why this people?

As strange and unfamiliar as this country is to me, it so resonates my own struggle with the Lord. It is the unfaithful and wandering bride. Reluctant to be drawn into a monogamous intimacy. Chosen. Longed for. Adorned. A cherished, yet petulant lover. Like the Church. Like me.

God calls us to a Shabbat rest. He created for us all that is needed for life and happiness, hoping at the end of the week to enjoy peaceful communion with the ones for whom all of this was created. But we will not enter into that rest. We are the bride that refuses to be adorned with familial honor. We refuse to be cherished. Longing to be free from the constraints of intimacy with our husband, we chase after a lesser love. We leave the peace and sanctuary of the garden of His goodness for the chaos of a life lived on the streets.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! See your house is left to you desolate, for I tell you, you will not see Me again until you say, Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.

I am not entirely sure of what the Lord has planned for me here. What could I offer you, Jerusalem? You to whom the scriptures and Messiah were given. This city is overwhelming. It is complicated and right now I feel very small.

The city is awakening. Horns honking. Sounds of different languages, ancient and beautiful, are drifting in through the courtyard. But for this moment, I am at rest with my Lord, in His Holy City. Shabbat rest. I am peaceful with His people. I am peaceful in this stone house. I am peaceful in my soul. It is not THAT rest, the one to come, but it is a sweet gift from my Lord, nonetheless.

Father, to You alone belong praise, worship and honor. Teach me to walk in Your ways. Show me the paths of Your righteousness. Set my feet on the narrow way and guide me with the integrity of Your heart. Give to me Your love for this place and for Your people. I won't pretend to have knowledge or understanding of this place. I will not try to force myself on them. I will be still and listen and learn from You. I am here at your request and for Your glory. Take what little I have, fill it up with Yourself and shine Lord! O Lord see! O Lord hear! O Lord deliver! Us.

Matthew 24 Jesus left the temple and was going away, when His disciples came to point out to Him the buildings of the temple. But He answered them, You see all these things, do you not? Truly I say to you there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.

Hebrews 4 Therefore, while the promise of entering His rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it...Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience....Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts....So then, there remains a Shabbat rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from His.

1 comment: