II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Voice


I Samuel 3 Now the young man Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli. And the word of the Lord was rare in those days; there was no frequent vision. At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grown dim so that he could not see, was lying down in his own place. The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was. Then the Lord called to Samuel, and he said, Here I am! and ran to Eli and said, Here I am , for you called me. But he said, I did not call; lie down again. So he went and lay down. And the Lord called again, Samuel! And Samuel arose and went to Eli and said, Here I am; for you called me. But he said, I did not call, my son; lie down again. Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. And Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli and said, Here I am for you called me. Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the young man. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, Go, lie down, and if He calls you, you shall say, Speak Lord, for your servant hears. So Samuel went and lay down in his place. And the Lord came and stood, calling as at other times, Samuel, Samuel! And Samuel said, Speak for your servant hears...And Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground.

How do I know when the Lord speaks? And how will I respond?

Probably the two greatest questions of my life; at least at this point. For most of my life this has not been a burning question for me. I was not listening anyway. Or maybe like in Samuel's time the word of the Lord was rare and there were no frequent visions. Or maybe like Samuel I did not know the Lord and the word of the Lord had not been revealed to me. But now these are the questions that seem to matter the most to me.

Does the Lord have a distinct voice to you? Does it sound the same every time He speaks? Does He come to you in visions or dreams; and are you able to decipher His distinct sound over the random thoughts that fly by?

Samuel did have one advantage. He had placed himself in a position to hear God. Not only was he in the temple of the Lord; he was in the place of the ark of God. Close contact. Approximate. He was able to hear. He was willing to hear. He just lacked the discernment to distinguish God's voice from others.

One problem was that when God would speak, Samuel would run to Eli. Again and again. Unable to hear the tone of his Father, he ran to his mentor. His familiar source of comfort and instruction.

Strange that it took the man of God, Eli, three different wake up calls to recognize that Samuel was being spoken to by a heavenly voice.

The third time was different. Samuel was different. He was listening to the One who was speaking. And the voice of the Lord not only called to Samuel, He stood in his room. Not just a voice from heaven; a presence. God came down to Samuel to speak with him personally.

Once Samuel discovered who was speaking to him, and having placed himself in a position to hear; he had the right response to the Lord. Speak for your servant hears. Only then is he able to get clear direction from the Lord. A revelation. A prophecy.

I have read this story many times but it has new meaning for me today. This is one of the great mysteries of Scripture. Relevant in every age, in every situation and able to speak into every circumstance. So the Lord speaks to me today...Place yourself in close proximity to Me. Be available to hear. Learn the sound of My voice. Be willing to be in My presence. Listen to My instruction. And follow. Wherever. Whatever. Even when it makes no sense to you. Even when you are afraid. Even when you don't have the means or are unable to see the end results.

Whatever He tells you to do, do that.

Psalm 95 Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts.

John 10 The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out...When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, buy they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.

Revelation 3 Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and eat with him, and he with Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment