II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Monday, October 12, 2009

The Relief


Matthew 4 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And He said to them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men. Immediately the left their nets and followed Him.

On Sunday we drove from Jerusalem up through the Galilee to En Gev for the night. Our first stop was near the Dead Sea where I rode a camel for the first time. Just another thing crossed off the "to do before you die" list. There is freedom in trying new things, in living with abandon. I have had a lot of those kinds of experiences on this trip.

We stopped in Tiberius for lunch on the water and then drove to the kibbutz in Yardenit for fruit, nuts, tea and snacks for the trip. We arrived at our cottage on the sea right at sunset and like children dropped our bags off and headed for the sea shore with ipod and worship banners in hand. I was crying before I got there. Happy, thankful tears to think that Jesus often retreated to this place for rest and to teach. I can see Him so easily here. It feels like home.

Jerusalem can be a very oppressive place, sometimes frightening. There was a bomb discovered within walking distance of our house in Jerusalem on Monday night. There have been riots in the old city since we have been here and always, the just beneath the surface, the tension that is older than the city itself.

But there was something so peaceful about dancing in the dark by the sea of Galilee with our banners, worship music playing softly. The breeze cools us and causes the white angel wings of the banners to flutter out over the sea as the lights of Tiberius twinkle across the water. And suddenly I realize, I am perfectly and totally content. Do you know why? I have left my nets to follow Him. I am thinking tonight of all the things that we lose or refuse to lose for Christ. And just like Peter and Andrew, He is freeing me. From burdens. From fear. From self. From oppression. He is calling to me....Follow Me. Leave it all. Your burdens and your past. Leave them and follow me. To freedom. To rest. To restoration.

2 comments:

  1. Connie your writing is excellent, so descriptive! I can see the shores of Galilee and I can hear your heart! I am so envious! I wish I was there!
    Thank you for sharing your journey!!
    May the Lord continue to pour His grace on you and bless you!
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I feel like I WAS THERE WITH YOU after having read that!!! :-)
    THANKS
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete