II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Example


John 13 Now before the Feast of the Passover when Jesus knew that His hour had come, that He should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved His own which were in the world, He loved them until the end. And supper being ended, the Devil having put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simons son, to betray Him and Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands and that He was come from God and was returning to God, rising up from supper, He laid aside His garments and took a towel and girded Himself. After that He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel wherewith He was girded.

For someone who didn't have a clue about what they did want to do with their life, I knew what I didn't want to do. I did not want to be a nurse. I knew all about that kind of life from my mother and sister. While it is an honorable profession, it is the very definition of being a servant. It is a servants heart that washes the body of those unable to wash themselves. A servants hand feeds the one broken by disease or trauma. Servants feet bring food to grieving families.

How great a love the Father has for His children. Since He designed us, He knows far better than we which careers will suit us best. Did He know that by washing and bandaging the wounds of others that I would find healing for my own soul? Did He see ahead to the times that by comforting the dying that I would learn to cherish my own life and the lives of my loved ones? He must have known that I would discover that in loving my patients that my own heart would start to melt and that I would begin to see the intrinsic worth of all people.

Being a nurse has taught me to become comfortable with touching someone else. There is power and healing that comes from touch. It helps them to heal and it helps me to heal. It is ironic that I discovered during my first nursing physical that I am color blind. This has been very useful. I have learned to ignore the color of my patients' skin or their race or social status. They have taught me to enjoy the little things in life like watching the sunset over the ocean in Santa Barbara of snow fall over the mountains in Denver or the sound of children laughing. Nursing has taught me that I was designed for His purpose. He equipped me with the skills necessary to perform the work that He would call me to do. And then He went beyond that and changed my heart and gave me a love for the things that He had designed me for. What a wise and loving God.

And to my friend, sister and fellow laborer in Israel...Kathy, you are never more beautiful than when you are washing the feet of His saints.

Isaiah 52:7 How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of them who bring the good news, who announce peace and bring good news of happiness, who announce salvation and say to Zion, Your God reigns!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you my sweet sister...you know I needed this today! I love you.

    ReplyDelete