II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Offering


Mark 1 Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men. And immediately they left their nets and followed Him.

I'm leaving for Atlanta today and for Israel tomorrow and I am thinking of my trip last year.

Do you know what was the most extraordinary sight for me last year in Israel? More impressive than Jerusalem, the Old City, the Mount of Olives, Mt. Carmel and the Mediterranean Ocean?

A bulldog.

I have never seen anything like him in my life. He was amazing. His owner was an Arabic man and he and this bulldog were on the beach in Netanya, just playing and training. They never took their eyes off each other and if a dog is capable of a look of adoration for a human, he had it. He loved that man. As they went through their paces on the beach I was very impressed but when he took the dog out into the ocean I just sat down and watched, amazed. The man was waist high in the surf so really the only part of the dog out of the water was his head. Another man on the beach would throw a small stone into the surf between the man and the dog, who just stood facing each other in the water, looking directly into each other eyes while the rock settled to the ocean floor. Finally, the owner gave the okay and the dog began to dive for the rock. Again and again. I was totally skeptical and thinking that there is no way that dog will be able to retrieve a rock in the waves and the sand. After a few tries the man on the beach asked if the owner wanted him to throw another stone. Without taking his eyes off the dog and with a smile on his face, he just held up his hand as if to stay stop, just give him a minute. Over and over he dove and I was getting nervous. What would happen if he failed?

You may find this hard to believe but that dog recovered the stone. It was the most incredible thing that I have ever witnessed between and owner and an animal. The two came back up on the beach, strutted actually, and the dog was just crazy. Jumping around, I swear it looked like he was laughing. The owner praised him and loved on him and the three of them walked away and I just sat there on the beach like an idiot with my mouth open.

Wow. What courage. Amazing trust. Such determination. Incredible. The dog never gave up. Neither did his master. The owner never rushed him. He never criticized him. He never doubted him. He never took his eyes off him. He praised his work and loved him.

Sound familiar?

Training in the Lord is not always easy. It requires perseverance. It demands trust, determination and a refusal to quit. Stones are difficult to find in the ocean. The waves can be frightening. But if we keep our eyes on the One who owns us then we will be okay. He is patient. He has a reward for us, held in the heavens that will never fade away.

I could tell that this was not the first time that this scenario had played out, but I was grateful to have the privilege of watching it.

It seems almost unbelievable that Jesus could say to the brothers, Follow me, and that they would just drop everything and walk away with Him. But in the Gospel of Luke we learn that Jesus was not a stranger to these men. In fact, we find that after Jesus was tempted by Satan that He returned to Galilee with great power. He healed a man with a demon, He taught with authority in the synagogue and then...He healed Simon's mother in law.

In chapter 5 He calls Simon to Follow Him. And Simon had seen JUST enough that when Jesus called him, Simon trusted Him and was obedient. And Jesus never took his eyes off Simon again.

I wonder if the dog ever thought, This doesn't make sense!! Why am I diving for rocks? Could I not just pick them up off the sand? I don't think so. When they were in the water together it looked like the most natural thing in the world. Maybe it was just scary the first time.

I'm sure Simon thought, What difference does it make which side of the boat that I cast my net on?

Sometimes God makes no earthly sense. Sometimes He asks for steps of obedience that look strange. Will I trust Him? Even when it makes no sense? Even when I'm in deep water? Even if I feel foolish? Do I trust Him enough to dive for rocks with everyone watching on the beach thinking that I won't make it and my owner is crazy?

I hope I am past caring what anyone thinks of me if it hinders me from being willing to give something to someone who gave everything for me.

Maybe this blog makes no sense. Maybe going to Israel makes no sense. Maybe my hair makes no sense. But I have seen JUST enough to trust Him and dive in.

I Peter 3 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous.

Luke 5 Getting into one of the boats, which was Simon's, He asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and taught the people from the boat. And when He had finished speaking he said to Simon, Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch. And Simon answered, Master, we toiled all night and took nothing. But at Your word, I will let down the nets.

By the way....The next time you see me, it might not make much sense but I'm letting down the net and diving for rocks.

2 comments:

  1. Praise God for the heart and pen of such a committed servant! Thank you, Connie, for your obedience to Christ and for not taking your eyes off of Him...and for letting the rest of us sitting on the beach witness what has and is happening between you two.

    Love,
    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a funny note...does this make you a Georgia fan..now that you love bulldogs? Just kidding...couldn't resist the implication for an Alabama girl! I can't wait to experience ALL that the Lord has for us to do, be, hear, taste, see, smell and know in Israel together!! I love you! Lily

    ReplyDelete