II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Husband


Psalm 118 Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever! Let Israel say, His steadfast love endures forever. Let the house of Aaron say, His steadfast love endures forever. Let those who fear the Lord say, His steadfast love endures forever. Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side, I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side as my helper, I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.

I love my husband. I love to hear what other people have to say about him. People say, He is a nice guy, and he is. The say, He is handsome, and he is. They say, He is such a great Dad, and he is. He is a lot of things to a lot of people. He is the most generous man that I have ever known, he is well traveled and well spoken, he is great at all kinds of sports and is a wonderful host.

But do you know what he is to me?

He has given to me something that I have never known before, the thing that I cherish above all else. He gives me freedom. To fly. To dream. He encourages me to be, me. In every area of our lives from the way I decorate the house to the clothes I wear. From our travels to my career. This is his greatest gift to me.
This is a godly trait. In fact, Ken gives me as my physical husband what Jesus gave to me as my spiritual husband. Not a license to sin but the offering of trust. In both relationships there are some things that just cannot be. Both relationships require faithfulness, for example.

Matthew 22 Teacher which is the greatest commandment in the Law? And He said to him, You shall love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all you mind. This is the great and first commandment

And do you, Connie, take this man? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and obey him; for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, through good times and bad and forsaking all others will you cling only to him as long as you shall live?

Ruth 1 Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following after you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.

I don't remember which came first in our marriage....me loving Ken with everything that I have or his gift of trust and freedom; but we do not have one without the other. I do know which came first with the Lord. He set me free. And that compels me. He has captivated me and drawn me aside, calling me to relationship. To privacy. To intimacy.

Song of Solomon He brought me to the banqueting house and his banner over me was love...Arise my love, my beautiful one and come away....I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine....I am my beloved's and his desire is for me.

Psalm 118 His steadfast love endures forever. Out of my distress I called on the Lord, the Lord answered me and set me free.

Proverbs 31 She does him good and not harm all the days of her life.

Genesis 1 And God saw everything that He had made and behold, it was very good.

Psalm 84 For the Lord God is sun and shield, the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Romans 8 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.

Ken... We may not always get it just right and as long as we are flesh and blood, we never will. Thank you. Day by day you show me the Fathers love, a giving love. Steadfast love that endures....forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment