II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Monday, September 21, 2009

The Thirst


Psalm 42 Just as the deer pants for water so does my soul for You, O God.

Jeremiah 2 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves out cisterns, broken cisterns, that cannot hold water.

It is early in the morning. My longing for the Lord wakes me from sleep. I am thirsty.

The last few days have been some of the best days of the summer. I have spent time with some of my closest friends and my family. On Thursday I spent the day with Kathy and Jennifer preparing for an event at Our Fathers House. On Thursday night we had porch time with my girls. Friday I spent the day with Margo and Debbie, Kathy, Chrissie and Sonya, Jean and such a wonderful group of women in ministry. My heart and eyes overflowed. On Saturday we had Maddies birthday and on Saturday night we had our last dinner to benefit the kitchen project at Shevet Achim. We had our dinner with Leon and Jean and had such wonderful conversation. On Sunday we went to Georgia for homecoming at Snookie's church and it was so sweet to worship again with both my sisters and my sweet mama, David, Ken, Beth and Maddie. To pray with both of my sisters was the most wonderful experience of the summer. What a great week and weekend!!!

But this morning I am spent. My soul is longing for another face, His face. His is the presence that I am seeking. His voice is the Once I cannot do without. I am thirsting for the Living Water. And that is how it works, how it should be. Filled up and poured out. We need to be both. We have to have both. Maybe that is what James meant when he said that faith without works is dead. So much of my summer has been spent sitting at this desk. The most satisfying days with my Lord. Ever. But that has been for a purpose. For preparation to be poured out in our trip. Jesus gives to us Himself, His Holy Spirit. Not for us to keep hidden in our prayer rooms or to be enjoyed alone for our own pleasure but that we would have something to offer in service for Him to someone else. He fills us up so that we can pour Him out into the lives of others. Isn't that wonderful? That is our God. That is my God. Always giving us the very best. HIMSELF!! Pressed down. Shaken together. Running over. His love so fills us that we overflow into the lives of those around us. We can only be filled by HIM, for HIM.

This morning I woke up thirsty. Spiritually. Physically. I came to this prayer room, opened my mouth wide and just like always He is already here, waiting to fill my cup to overflowing so that I might have something worth offering a thirsting world. Because really all we have to offer someone is what we have been given from above. We have nothing else of real value. No gifts of our own, no worldly wisdom, no peace or understanding in the flesh. All I have to offer to you is what He has so generously given to me...Himself.

Psalm 42 These things I remember as I pour out my soul, how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival.

Psalm 34 O taste and see that the Lord is good.

Psalm 40 I have not hidden Your deliverance within my heart. I have spoken of Your salvation. I have not concealed Your steadfast love and Your faithfulness.

Psalm 43 Send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me to Your Holy Hill and to Your dwelling.

Psalm 63 O God, You are MY GOD; earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You. My flesh faints for You as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

Luke 6 The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them and they will fast in those days.

1 comment:

  1. Precious Jesus....thank YOU for this filling today! We love You our Living Water..

    ReplyDelete