II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Miracle


John 2 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus also was invited to the wedding with His disciples. When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no wine. And Jesus said to her, Woman what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come. And His mother said unto the servants, Whatever He tells you to do, do that.

To me, the Gospel of John contains some of the most profound statements in all of the Bible. In the first chapter Jesus is proclaimed God, by Johns' testimony. That statement is reinforced not only by John the Baptist but by the Holy Spirit and God the Father as well. After receiving the Holy Spirit Jesus chooses His disciples and as He begins His ministry we find Him with His family, friends and disciples at the wedding in Galilee. I start to feel a sense of expectancy here waiting for His next move. In all of the build up of this story of Jesus' first miracle, one of the best statements in all of Scripture can be easily lost in the telling of the miracle.

"Whatever He tells you to do, do that".

This verse stops me every time. The rest of the story really depends on the servants' willingness. What if they choose not to do whatever He says? What if they feel foolish? What if they are tired of working this wedding? What if He is not trustworthy, who is He anyway? For reasons not known, they choose to follow Him and so the first ever recorded miracle of Jesus is told. The glory of Jesus is revealed and His newly gathered disciples are encouraged in their faith in HIM.

But for me, it is Mary's statement that lingers. It is her voice that speaks to me today. It scares me a little. Whatever He says...

The first miracle of Jesus began with the servants being obedient to Him. Who knows...maybe they all do.

Father, you know my heart. You know my pride and selfishness. My thoughts and intent are laid bare before You. As I take small steps of obedience to You, be pleased Lord. Remember that I am just flesh and take what little I have to offer and make much of it. Take my water and turn me into wine. I will trust in You that if I will do the going, You will do the miracles.

And many believed in His Name when they saw the signs and miracles that HE was doing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment