II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Prayer

Isaiah 37 As soon as King Hezekiah heard it, he tore his clothes and covered himself with sackcloth and went into the house of the Lord...This is a day of distress, of rebuke and of disgrace...Thus says the Lord, Do not be afraid...Hezekiah went up to the house of the Lord and prayed, O Lord of hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, You are the God, You alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; You have made the heaven and the earth. Incline Your ear, O Lord, and see and hear...So now, O Lord, save us, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You alone are the Lord...Thus says the Lord God of Israel; Because you have prayed to me....I will defend this city to save it...And the angel of the Lord went out..

Job 14 Man who is born of woman is few of days and full of trouble.

Life is hard. That is just the truth. It is a precious gift from the Lord. It has a divine purpose. And while it has times of complete happiness and contentment there are days that are full of trouble. While I readily admit that I am not threatened by the Assyrian Army as King Hezekiah was, I still have worries of my own.

This is my first trip for ministry. When I try to express my excitement and gratitude to the Lord for allowing me to serve, I find the writing of it so inadequate. The words get trapped inside my pen and are reluctant to be written. I had been on a spiritual high place.

But today, I must confess, is stressful. There have been moments during the planning of this trip where we have faced real obstacles. And in addition to that planning there are the everyday stresses of life to contend with. From acquiring tickets, financial strains, job search and working towards fund raising for the kitchen. Between the four of us we have five children and most of them experiencing such dramatic changes and growth this summer. In the past year we have lost a family member, traveled cross country, had a wedding, started back to college, experienced a music tour, bought a house, joined the Army, dealt with family drama and been involved with family reconciliations. Some days it seems like crashing computers, blown up engines, unemployment, broken appliances and physical illness are the highlights of the day.

So how do true believers and followers of Christ deal with adversity?

Sometimes we fake it. We say, When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. Or, Just trust in the Lord and He will work it out for your benefit. Empty phrases like, Just suck it up and put on your big girl pants or, Just put a smile on your face and a song in your heart. Don't worry, everything will be fine. But really that is not entirely true. It is not helpful and it is not scriptural. A false sense of happiness is not honesty with ourselves or others.

Sometimes we are not delivered from our trials. Despite our prayers, despite our trust or our faithfulness. Sometimes God chooses not to deliver us to what we consider our benefit. People die. Children die. Jobs are lost. Spouses leave.

Some people walk away. They fall away. They say, Christianity is a crutch. Or, Is God really there? Miracles never happen to me. You make your own destiny. It's too narrow minded. It's no fun.

Father as I sit at this desk facing my struggles today help me to remember Hezekiah's reaction to tribulation. He tore his clothes, refusing to fake it with smiles and false happiness. He covered himself with sackcloth, refusing to fall away, saying to the Lord I will stay here with You even when You take me through the fire. He went to the house of the Lord, refusing to forsake the God He loved and had put his trust in. He prayed saying this is a day of distress. He acknowledged that You, the Only God, the One True God, rule all the earth. O God SEE me. O God HEAR me. O God SAVE me. SO THAT, and here is the reason, it may show all the earth that You are a God who is able to deliver us. Honor the fact that we bring our petitions to You. Defend us Lord. Send Your angel out as we pray.

John 16 In the world you WILL have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

Jame 1 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

I Peter 5 Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Luke 22 Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but Yours, be done. And there appeared to Him an angel from heaven, strengthening Him. And being in agony He prayed more earnestly; and His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment