II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Distractions


Luke 10 Jesus entered a village and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary,who sat at the Lords feet and listened to His teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to Him and said, Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her to help me. But the Lord answered her, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken from her.


Anxious. Troubled. Distracted. Such is the fate of the one who serves Christ but is too busy to listen to Him.


One of the things that the Lord is teaching me in this season is getting past the symptoms or behaviours that I am dealing with and getting to the core of the issue.


Do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her to help me. For surely helping me is more important than hearing You, right?


I am becoming more convinced that we do not hear the voice of the Lord because we cannot. We flood our senses with sound, we surround our lives with busyness, we drown out any moment of silence that might allow Him to speak. We cannot hear Him for the noise of our own making. But we are still dealing with symptoms here. What is the cause?


Maybe we do not want to hear.


And now we are getting somewhere.


Maybe we are fearful of what He has to say. What if He calls me to righteousness, or to service; what if He should require something of me?


And if He cannot catch us, if He cannot be heard above the chaos of our lives then we cannot be held accountable for what we do not know.


Mary sat at the Lords feet and listened to His teaching.....Mary has chosen the good portion.


It is risky to listen to God. He cuts right to the chase. He is honest. He is pursuing us all. (Which means we must be running)


Anxious. Troubled. Distracted. And maybe a little jealous, selfish and angry in our service.


Father, I do not want You to have to pursue me. I want to follow hard after You. Give me the courage to sit at Your feet, to listen, to obey and to live in fellowship with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment