II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Sower


Matthew 13 A sower went out to sow. And as He sowed some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. Other seed fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain.

Last night as Ken and I were driving home from a singing in Georgia we were talking about the differences among believers. Why do some people give up everything for Christ and some do not? I shared with Ken that my greatest fear, my greatest weakness was, in my opinion, an inability to finish things. Why, when the Lord leads me, do I fall short in completing the tasks?

Jesus often comes to me as the Gardner. I see Him so easily in that capacity. To some He is the Healer, or Teacher, the Shepherd or the Lion but to me, He comes as the Gardener.

So last night He comes in dreams to answer me. We are in the garden, He and I, and I ask Him, Lord, why do I not finish what You begin to do in my life? And in answer He picks up a spade and puts it into the grass of my garden and reveals to me the root system. The roots are shallow, bound up in shallow soil, filled with rocks.

Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, an immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root they withered away.

I sow good seed in your life, Connie, and immediately you hear and spring up but since you have not enough soil when hard times come or things become difficulty or you decide that a task is not to your liking, you become scorched in your heart and wither away.

And all I can say to Him is, Amen.

Would you like for Me to rework the soil?

And here there is a long pause because I know that this is a fork in the road. I have seen him gather His tools before. He is an avid Gardner. He sets His garden in order. He does not tolerate weeds. He prunes without pity for He knows what branches to remove to create greater growth.

It is hard work. Sometimes it is easier to just be satisfied with a mediocre lawn. Is that what you want?

In the end we gather tools from the shed, weeders, gloves, rakes and shovels and, side by side we begin to turn over the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment