II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Fragrance


II Corinthians 2 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?


This morning has been great and I am practicing one of my favorite forms of worship. I am at home alone, still in pajamas at lunch, surrounded by my books, bible and computer, fire in the fireplace, Sons of Korah playing psalms in the background, and the jewel in this crown....incense burning.


My friend, Kathy, gave me a small replica of an ancient Jewish oil lamp that she fired herself. The bowl is a perfect fit for the small, round charcoal burner. The incense is from Basam's shop in the old city. The rock like pebbles of incense are a variety of flavor. Frankincense. Myrrh. Spikenard.


The charcoal and incense burn slowly and the smoke rises through the chimney and drifts softly through my house filling this place and my neighborhood with scents as old as time. The smoke, the songs of praise and my prayers rising up to God. This thought brings a smile to my face. Contentment to my soul. A pleasing aroma to my King.


But thanks be to God, who through Christ, spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Himself everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. A fragrance of death to the perishing and of life to the living. And who is sufficient for this?


I want my life to be the aroma of Christ to those who know and meet me. For the fragrance of His life to cling to me like the smoke of incense. For my life to rise up with the smoke of praise to the kingdom in heaven.


There is a flame in your heart, a fire in the form of God's Spirit. His Holy Spirit. If you know Him. If you believe. If you have trusted. The power that raised Jesus from the dead; the same Spirit that descended from heaven at Jesus' own baptism lives within the heart of every believer.


Fan into flame, O Lord, that spark within us. Ignite us Lord with a passion for You that burns bright enough to be felt by anyone near us. May our lives put off the aroma of Christ.


Father may my life, my prayers and my praise rise to heaven like smoke from this house. May it be a pleasing fragrance and a sweet sound. To You. May it have an impact on everyone who comes into contact with me. I am not sufficient for this. But You are.

No comments:

Post a Comment