II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Kibbutz


Genesis 43 Take some of the choice fruits of the land in your bags, and carry a present down to the man, a little balm and a little honey, gum, myrrh, pistachio nuts, and almonds.


And just like that I am transported back to one of my favorite memories. I am with my sisters in the Lord at the Kibbutz in Yardenit on our way to the Sea of Galilee for the night.


If you have never tasted dates, humus, olives and nuts from the Holy Land you have missed out on a real treat. The combination of things bought in the kibbutz and from Jerusalem were like fruits of the Spirit. Medjoul dates, fresh pita, humus, dried pineapple, ginger and strawberries, anointing oil of spikenard and myrrh, honey and pomegranate juice squeezed on the street in Jerusalem is like balm for the soul. Soothing. Welcoming. Reminding us from where good things come. They also remind us of intimacy with other believers and with Him.


The Song of Solomon is the most intimate of all Scriptures. A beautiful picture of marital love. Godly love. Intimate love. And what are the descriptive words most often used to describe this awesome experience? Wine. Oil. Myrrh. Henna. Cedar. Pine. Rose. Lilly. Raisins. Apples. Figs. Frankincense. Pomegranates. Cinnamon. Aloe. Honey. The tastes and smells of intimate love and conversation.


We so often acquaint wonderful moments in our lives with the smell and taste of food. So many of our celebrations are centered around a meal. We see this in the life of Jesus with His disciples at their last supper together before His suffering. An intimate meal among friends before the crucifixion. The smell of spikenard on His skin. Reminders of soft intimate encounters for our Lord before the horror that was to come. A reminder of where good things come from.


I am sitting in front of my fireplace with a cup of hazelnut coffee, a english muffin covered in butter, cinnamon and honey, surrounded by the smell of a wood fire, a scented candle and the leather of my backpack planning a trip back where I hope to make new friends, experience new adventures, hear the laughter of new children and enjoy new times of intimacy with the Lord. My prayer is that when times are difficult that I will remember this moment of peaceful time with my Father and be comforted. I will remember Him. How He lived. How He loved. How He engaged people. How He died to Himself.


Lord Jesus I NEED You. I have no power on my own. I have no overflowing joy and genuine love for others apart from You. I must look to You for direction, to You for faithfulness, to You for genuine love, to You for intimacy. I am too selfish and have been too damaged by life to produce any of the fruits of the Spirit on my own. If I love it will be You who loves. If I am faithful it will be You who lives through me. If I am accomplished it will be Your power dwelling in me. If there is any kindness, gentleness, forgiveness, generosity and compassion it will be from You Lord. Teach me to empty myself of everything. Every agenda. Every plan. Teach me to allow You to move in and out of my life. You are my good.


Lord restore our fortunes like the stream in the Negev! Those who sow in tears, they shall reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping with seeds for sowing will return with joy. He will return with songs of joy. He will return. He will return with a harvest of sheaves. Sons of Korah.


No comments:

Post a Comment