II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Zealous


Romans 10 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.


If this statement were not so tragic and true it would be funny. The first thought that came to my mind was random and very southern. She is runnin around like a chicken with her head cut off!


So, I am guessing that the topic for today is "busyness". Without direction or purpose.


I am trying a little different approach to Scripture reading these days. Many verses, like the one above, are written about a specific group or about a specific event. So I think that sometimes I see these verses as not really being applicable to me personally. Then I read this verse again...


II Timothy 3 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.


So, considering this, what does a zeal for God without knowledge mean to me today.


Busyness has always been friend mine. Ken says that I clean like someone who is being chased. I love to be busy. So for the last couple of years one way that I can tell that the Lord is preparing me for an Israel trip is that He quietens me. I just suddenly stop. I spend hours sitting at my desk or curled up on the sofa with my books and computer. It is as if He is resetting my internal clock for Israeli time. It is also a time of needed rest and being filled up with Him and His Word. It is in preparation for being busy in Jerusalem.


It is strange that in the last few days I have had several invitations to coffee. And can I just stop right here and say that the thought of having coffee in Jerusalem is healing to the soul. One invitation is from a lady in Germany whom I have never met or corresponded with until today. But for someone like me having coffee is the opposite of busy. Having coffee is time consuming. It is relaxing. Enjoyable. Just the thought of it makes me peaceful. And what about all the work that needs to be done while I am languishing away in a coffee shop?


And so He begins to save me from myself and speak to my heart about His heart. And His heart has always been about relationships.


What do we see most often in the gospels? Jesus building relationships. At weddings. At the well. Over dinner. In the temple. By the Sea. Reclining at the table. Investing in the lives of others.



And so we come to the truth of the matter. Work, for me, is a way of not getting involved. It is not personal. It is a task that must be completed and that is easier for me than sitting down face to face and opening my heart and life up to another person.


But that is exactly the way that He would have me live. He would have me get involved, not with just the work, with the people. The work belongs to Him.


Psalm 127 Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over a city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil, for He gives to His beloved even in sleep.


Father, thank You for teaching me about priorities in my life. Your priorities. Your perspective. Thank You for teaching me about myself and all areas in my life that I would keep from You. Hide from You. And how silly is that, the thought that I could keep anything from You is an example of how incorrect my thinking can become. It is people that you are after. Hearts and souls. Thank You for showing me that they are found through relationships. To everything there is a season, right? Time for work, time for rest, time to pray, time to love. And time is short. Help me make the most of my days Father, for Your kingdom. For Your glory. For Your children. And Father, thank You for telling me that I am worth knowing. Tear down the lies Lord and show me how You see me. I love You so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment