II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Ties


Daniel 3 And he (Nebuchadnezzar) ordered some of the mighty men of his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and to cast them into the burning fiery furnace. These men were bound in their cloaks, their tunics, their hats, and other garments, and they were thrown into the burning fiery furnace...But I see four men unbound, walking in the midst of the fire, and they are not hurt; and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods.


So the short lesson is that we gain Christ and lose the ties that bind us. A pretty good trade, right? But it must have seemed like a difficult route for the three Hebrew slaves who, unlike us, did not know the end of the story. They stood, bound up in everything they owned before a real fiery furnace, facing death and not knowing what the outcome would be.


This is the most difficult entry I have ever made. It is also one of the greatest insights into my own heart that I have experienced. It was a struggle to understand what the Spirit was saying because He was trying to accomplish work in me and he was being hindered from mighty men from without and from an unwillingness from within on the part of this writer. I did not wish to go where He was leading.


One of the wonderful traits of the Helper, the Holy Spirit, is to lead us into freedom from whatever has us bound. Sometimes we are so comfortable in our bondage and we have lived that way for so long that it is just easier to remain there. But just as the caterpillar struggles out of his cocoon it is that struggle to be free that gives us the strength to fly.


As I look back on my own journey to freedom I can see so many different types of circumstances that He has used along the way. For instance, leading me to go to nursing school not only offered me a way out of poverty it opened the door to ministry. When the Lord required that smoking be put away He was leading me to freedom from addiction and a habit that had long shamed me. When He asked for the sacrifice of my hair He was teaching me about freedom from popular opinion, humility and finding beauty in myself that I did not know was there. He is freeing me from all types of bondage and it has taken many forms.


An ongoing struggle for me has been my "stuff"; my treasures. I have realized that it is not the amount of material things or their value that causes them to become treasures or idols in my life. I have also learned that it is not the items themselves that have me bound. Rather it is my need for them. They comfort me by reminding me that I am not poor anymore. I am not homeless anymore. But He would chose to free me from the anxiety that they cause me when I think about losing them or being away from them. What if they get broken or stolen? He seeks to free me from the weight of their burden.


And this is where it became so difficult. I became very anxious, nervous and began to struggle in my spirit. And He begins to speak....


There is something that you are not being honest about, Connie.


After many attempts to write and rewrite I go outside to work in my yard. I am angry because I cannot hear Him, cannot understand Him. What, Lord?


And the Helper comes to lead me to freedom.


This time of a memory that has me bound in guilt. A time when I chose treasures on earth over something much more important. And now I do not not want to hear Him. I do not want to speak, or write or even acknowledge it. But we have walked together long enough for me to know that this is the way to freedom, for me. And at the end of the day I know that it is the only way to peace. Sometimes the only way to be freed from what binds us is a walk through the fire.


On my last trip to Israel I really struggled with a variety of things but one thing in particular was being homesick. Almost from the moment I got there. I missed my husband, my family and friends. I missed my own bed and my "stuff". It was a very difficult trip for me internally. I can see now that it was a test. And in the end I cut my trip short and came home early.


Not long after that one of the children who was there during my stay became very ill while at the house. As he was being taken to the hospital by the staff he stopped breathing and despite everything that could be done once he reached the hospital he died. And since that time I have questioned myself that if I had stayed, if I had been there, would it have made a difference? Would it have made a difference to have a nurse in that car; a nurse who had just recently completed a course in advanced cardiopulmonary life support? I was the only person staying at the house with a medical background. And because I was lonely for my family and my bed and my house I did not fulfill my purpose for the Lord.


So I ask the Lord the question that I have avoided since that trip. Would it have made a difference?


His answer.....It would have made a difference to you, Connie.


Life and death is in the hand of the Lord, I know that. I also know that we are put in places for a purpose. Called of God to serve in specific areas at specific times for specific reasons. It might not have made a difference in whether that child lived or died. But it would have made a difference in me. If I had been there.


Our lives matter. Our decision matter. Fulfilling our purpose in Christ matters. It is too important to neglect. The price is too high for us to fail. Or quit.


Father, while I have the courage to say it, do the work in me that is necessary for me to fulfil your purpose in me. Against you, you only have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight. My sin is always before me. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation. I will speak of Your goodness, mercy, kindness and patience toward us to any who cares to listen. The road to freedom is a hard one. It is the only way to peace. It is the way to fruitfulness in our lives. Give us the courage to be honest and transparent before You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment