II Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.



If you will give Me your life I will make something beautiful out of it.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Hospitable


Hebrews 13 Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember those who are in prison, as thoug in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.


I love this city!


This morning Laura and I went for our early morning walk and prayed on the streets of Jerusalem. It is a wonderful start to the morning. Then it is showers and time of woship with the staff. I had a tasty breakfast of peppers and cheese baked in whole wheat bread. We took the four children who are at home to the park at the Finnish Mission and then down to Zion Square to check the mail, change money and lose my sunglasses :(


While the children were napping Laura and I set off to do some shopping in the Old City. We stopped off at Zak's and had tea with mint which is my favorite and met Basam, the optometrist. From there we went to Ali Babba's for Spikenard and a beautifully decorated textile store for a hand embroidered tunic. We stopped by the Falafel store to see my friend, Samir, who after 27 years in the same shop in the Old City tells us that he may have to sell because the economy is so bad and tourism has fallen off. He says it the worst ever and that he fears that this also is the sign that we are living in the last days. We stopped by to see Johnny the jeweler and say hello.


This city is starting to feel like home to me, a second home anyway. I don't really feel the need to site see or do a lot of shopping now but it is the people who make me feel at home. They have the gift of hospitality. Every shop we stopped in people remember you from the time before. They welcome you to sit, to have tea or coffee and they ask about your family and your health. They invite you to come stay in their homes. They engage in conversation.


So maybe I should say I feel at home with the people in this city. I love their hearts and their sincerity. When they offer friendship, they mean it.


Remember brotherly love...show hospitality....remember those who are mistreated.


I am learning that in this city with these people.


Father You are good. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment